Four Funky Salads March 24 2015
There are still a few warm months in sunny Melbourne and we thought we’d give you four funky salad recipes to enjoy under your Billy Fresh Outdoor Umbrella while the weather is still hot! These are great to have on the patio, under the shade, with your friends, your family and anyone who wants to join in on the Billy Fresh lifestyle!
Rocket, Avo and Walnut Salad
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 100g baby rocket leaves
- 1/2 red onion, very finely sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced. Spread walnuts on an oven tray. Cook for 5 mins, or until lightly toasted. Cool and roughly chop.
Combine oil, lemon juice and mustard in a small screwtop jar. Shake to combine. Season to taste.
Combine rocket and onion in a serving dish. Drizzle with a little dressing, and toss to combine. Top with avocado, and drizzle with remaining dressing. Scatter over walnuts.
Asian Style Shredded Chicken Salad
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 2cm piece ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 250ml (2 cups) water
- 1/2 baby wombok, shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon crispy fried shallots
- Limes and extra coriander, to serve
Poach 2 chicken breast fillets with a 2cm piece ginger and 1 clove garlic in 2 cups water for 12 mins until cooked through. Cool then shred into a large bowl.
Add 1/2 baby wombok, shredded, 1 small red onion, finely sliced and 1 carrot. Toss well to combine.
Add 1 bunch coriander leaves, 1 chopped chilli, top with 1/3 cup chopped peanuts, toasted, and 1 tablespoon crispy fried shallots. Serve with limes and extra coriander.
Classic Greek Salad
- 4 egg tomatoes, halved, each half cut into 4 wedges
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, quartered, each quarter cut into thin wedges
- 250g kalamata olives
- 300g Greek feta, cubed
For the Red wine vinegar dressing:
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
To make the dressing, place the oil, vinegar and oregano in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, capsicums, onion, olives and feta in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss until combined.
Goats Cheese and Beef Salad
- 1 (150g) Turkish bread roll
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- olive oil cooking spray
- 400g rump steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 110g goat's cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120g baby rocket
Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Tear bread into 3cm chunks. Arrange bread, in a single layer, on a baking tray. Drizzle with half the oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned and crisp. Cool.
Spray a large frying pan with oil. Place over medium-high heat. Cook steak for 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Thinly slice.
Place chives on a plate. Roll cheese in chives to coat. Thinly slice. Place vinegar, mustard and remaining oil in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add tomato, rocket, bread and steak to bowl. Toss to combine. Divide mixture between plates. Top with cheese. Serve.